Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I Actually Don't Mind an Appendix if it's in a Book

It's been a very satisfying road to recovery thus far. I've seen exponential progress every day since my appendix was removed a week ago. This morning I went for a fairly long, brisk walk at the mall and felt no dizziness and far less tiredness and weakness than on previous days. I'm going to try going back to work tomorrow, which shouldn't be terribly arduous. After all, I just sit in front of a computer all day. The hour-plus commute will likely be the most difficult part of the workday initially.



So when to start back at running? I'm sorely tempted to set Saturday or Sunday, three or four days from now, as a target for a slow easy short run. We'll see; while I don't want to rush things and cause problems, I'm convinced that there is no forward movement without forward movement.



I've lost 5 pounds this week, but that's nothing I couldn't handle. Even my abdominal area feels quite strong, thanks in great part to the virtual lack of incisions in the procedure. I have two tiny cuts in the lower abdominal area that didn't even merit stitches, and a smiley face on my belly button which also didn't have stitches. While I've been lazing about I've also been working my arms with a dumbbell that's always at the side of the couch.



This experience has proven to me that staying in shape is an immense contributor to faster, more complete recovery when these little setbacks inevitably occur. Let that be a lesson!

No comments: